Stone Wall CL, Cheadle, Staffordshire

 Cheadle 22 September to 24 September 2023

    Trip to see Paul, my brother, for his 60th birthday.  The last time we were up here, we stayed at a different CL and had to be towed out by a tractor so we're not going back there!

    We stayed at Stone Wall Farm.  Easy access although you need to ensure you come to it from the North (not through Dilhorne).  Gated access with padlock. The owner, Lucy, met us as we rolled up.  Very pleasant lady and told us of the padlock number.

    The site was very well maintained with hard standing and your own electric and water point.  Grass between plots.  Not sure there would be space for an awning. Beautiful scenery as we looked across the valley. There was space for your car in front of the caravan but you would spoil the view that way so we parked on the grass to the side of our van. I don't think it was designed for that and if we'd have known there wouldn't be anyone else turning up we could have parked in another hard standing. 

    As I said, the view was stunning so we got the binoculars out. We could see Cheadle in the near distance so we weren't far from my brother.  Sadly, we forgot to take any pictures.

    The trip up on Friday was long even though we left at 9.30 we didn't finished setting up until 3pm. There seems to be so much traffic on the roads these days. It almost puts you off going anywhere!

Saturday

    We'd arranged with Paul's partner to go to their house at 2pm so we had to make our own entertainment until then. I took myself off for a walk expecting to be able to follow the OS map printed on the site notice board.  Unfortunately the track that would take me to the path to return to the site was completely over grown so I had to retrace my steps back up the hill. This field had very long grass so by the time I did return my boots and bottom of my jeans were soaked. But I did enjoy getting out.

    The time came round to seeing Paul. When he answered the door his face was a picture! Complete surprise.  I'm so glad we came up to see him and make it a surprise too!

    We stayed for a cuppa and piece of cake and chewed the fat for a while.  I was surprised to hear that they are thinking of getting a trailer tent. I hope they do. Maybe we could have a trip out with them. 

    As we didn't arrange anything for the evening we shopped in Morrisons for dinner. By the time we got back the sun was across the yard arm so we had a drink. I took mine outside with the binoculars and sat on the picnic bench that was provided. It wasn't long before the other caravaner came over to chat. They'd been going to this site for 18 months and were due to return in November when they would be able to see the firework display thar Alton Towers pits on.

    Three games of the Great Game of Britain, chat then bed.  Wind during the night had me a little worried but it had died down by the time we had to leave on Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment