Lancaster Canal Barge Holiday
Thursday 25th July, the Marton Arms near Ingleton
After having a disappointing time in Greece last year, we decided to try something different this year. So we chose a motorhome on water - a narrowboat on the Lancaster Canal. Just before starting our holiday, we found out that there had been a breach in the canal below Garstang that had left the canal very short of water! The owners of the barge said that the canal above Garstang was still being used.
We decided to have an extra night so we wouldn't be travelling too far on our first day of the canal holiday and so decided on the Marton Arms. Mike was glad as he said at least he'd get a day in Yorkshire before going over the border to Lancashire. 😉
![]() |
| Date above the door is 1679 |
We'd been here a long time ago and used to have loads of real ales but we can't really recognise much of it. I think that they must have had a problem in the past with keeping people out as the rear door is massive and strengthened.
![]() |
| You wouldn't want to forget your keys! |
Friday 26th, Garstang Marina to just before bridge 75
We arrived at 2 o'clock to collect our boat, Glissando. Pete took us through how to steer, turn and moor up etc - then left us.
Scary moment. Mike
took the tiller and made good progress. He was very adept at it. I had a go and the first moment, it went all
over the place until I got used to it. You do have to stand up all the time that you're steering so not great for an achy back and feet.
We had to stop at one point to let another
barge come through at a narrow point.
Mooring was something else as the water level is low so near the edge, it's very shallow. After three attempts, we made it. Time to relax. It does take the enjoyment away slightly not knowing where you can moor up. Had a relatively good night's sleep as we were both so tired.
Saturday 27th, Bridge 75 To 89
Decided to stay put as it was raining and we didn't fancy standing up, steering in the rain. We did take a walk along the canal between showers then I continued onto the shop. On the way to the shop, I noticed a field with a new barn and a trampoline in the field. Strange, I thought, until on the return, I saw the reason for the trampoline - goats. They must have a whale of a time bouncing on that!
The weather slowly improved and by the time I'd returned, it was sunny and warm. After a late lunch, we decided to set off towards Galgate.
On a bit further through a lovely leafy glen and around the next bend and total tranquillity...… and we managed to moor up. The sound of silence. We didn't see many birds although we did hear a chiffchaff and later saw a heron. We were hoping for a kingfisher but there weren't any trees around for them to perch. Beautiful evening though.
![]() |
| Cheers! |
Once we'd finished dinner, our neighbour who was about 200 yards away, came along to say hello. It was Chris, the Pink Hat Man who has a YouTube presence. Very pleasant man around the same age as us.
Sunday 28th
We stayed put to enjoy the peace and quiet. Consequently, we got up late and had breakfast al fresco. Walked to Galgate but there wasn't much there. Had a most welcome drink at a pub as it was a really hot day.
Back at the barge, we were glad to be back in the shade. Had to run engine to boost batteries and get hot water. Both
had showers that evening.
Monday 29th, Bridge 90 to just before 98a
Woke earlier than we thought we would and had set off by 10am. I had a hand in steering and it was a bit daunting but I soon settled in as we headed to Lancaster.
As I was doing OK, we carried on and I moored us up in Lancaster. I felt so pleased with
myself and we are right next to a pub, the Water Witch.
We managed to get rid of our rubbish then walked into the centre. First port of call was a café called the Dam Good Coffee shop that also sold CBD products. I was tempted to get a hat with a cannabis leaf on it.
Further into the
centre and we purchased hats then Mike went back to the boat and I had a look
around. Managed to find some zip-off trousers I'd been looking for then looked around the Lancaster City museum with
a dinosaur display (I think they found dinosaur bones at Morecambe) and display
about the Jacobite revolution, which they didn't win. Then a meander back and
down a lane with pennies set into the pavement, James Lane. Unfortunately all
the inscriptions on the pennies had worn off but you could tell they were old
pennies. All the while I was walking I felt as if I were listing to one side. I
realised I had to get my land legs. Strange really as the barge doesn't really
rock from side to side very much.
Tuesday 30th, Bridge 98a to just before 108 then to bridge 90
We planned to set of relatively early but managed by 11.30. We wanted to get to the Lune Aqueduct then turn round which we did. Along the way we had to stop 4 times for Mike to inspect the weed hatch. One t-shirt and plastic bag then some kind of woollen blanket and some actual weeds later, we could continue.
Going across the Lune Aqueduct wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be but we did get to photo bomb someone's selfie! The Aqueduct sides did have areas you could see the water but it was more bridge like. However we made it and that was a goal.
The winding hole was something else. I turned too late and couldn't make the turn so had to reverse quite a while all the time running aground. Later, we were told the level had dropped by another 1.5 inches. It all makes such a difference. Travelling back, I took the tiller most of the way; I really enjoy steering.
Through a wooded stretch it looked like it was raining but closer
inspection found petals ‘raining’ down from the trees. At one point Mike
mentioned a butterfly was travelling faster than us but it just didn't
matter. We reached the area we were
aiming for and looked for a place to moor. ‘Our’ spot was taken so we tried to
get in another spot. Such shallow edges. Mike was on the tiller this time,
thank goodness, and tried reversing and going forward and all we seemed to do
is ground out. Eventually 2 men from another barge belonging to the same
company came to the rescue. They took ropes and pulled us in as one as
possible. Our plank is still too short for the traverse at the stern. Luckily
we can get off at the forward end. It really does detract from the enjoyment of
this experience but on a plus side there is very little traffic. Settled in
for the evening and instantly fell into a stupor; I was knackered.
Wednesday 31st, Bridge 90 to 76.
I started feeding some fish when a duck and 5
ducklings came along so fed them a little bread then when they'd gone a family
of 2 swans with 5 goslings came to the boat. I thought the adults were going to
jump onboard at one stage! They were lovely to see and I fed the goslings some bread
too but not too much. It was idyllic.
We are heading back now so set off for Ratcliffe but stopped on enroute at Galgate to get breakfast at the café and look around the craft shop. Unfortunately, the café and craft shop had closed down. So we ended up going along to the shop and having lollies for breakfast. Back at the boat and I couldn't shake the thought of breakfast so had a bacon butty. Set off again for Ratcliffe Wharf. We passed under the Double bridge number 85. It was built over 2 farmers land so has fence down middle and is quite wide.
All along the route we see tiny blue dragonflies and large brown ones. Plenty of herons this time but no kingfishers. Steering the boat, it 's surprising how achy your heels get. It is exceptionally hot weather so they may also be swelling up too. Sharing the steering though us much better for both of us. We moored up just outside the wharf just before bridge 76.
![]() |
| Time for a little snoozette! |
Quiet place
but still in full sun. We had to spend some time inside as we are getting far
too much sun and I didn't pack any sun cream! The weather beforehand had been
so dreary that we had been expecting the worst and not planning for the best. During and
after dinner, we were privileged to see at least 40 Swallows dipping to get
water and a great flying display.
Thursday 1st June, Bridge 76 to Garstang Marina
Woke up to cloudy skies. It had rained over
night, not that I heard it, but was partially expected. We did a bit of packing
after breakfast then set off. We're getting quite adept at all of this.
Travelled down to past bridge 64. Then turned in the winding hole. I was
steering alright until I ground it on the bend at bridge 63. (it is a tight bridge with turns before and after the bridge) So Mike turned us around
and did it very well even with boats moored up all around.
Mooring up just before bridge 64 was almost perfection, well it was perfection apart from grounding again but really that is not our fault.
We were going to have a cuppa on board but we saw that the fresh water was completely out so opted to go out immediately and have a drink at the pub. Fast walk to T'Old Tithe Barn got there on time. Fantastic old building. Built 100 years before canal. It looks wonderful inside but we opted to sit out on the shade. Shame about the food and feel of it. It didn't exude oldness. Taxi back





















No comments:
Post a Comment